How to Download YouTube Videos for Offline Viewing
YouTube is the default video streaming platform for almost everyone with Internet access. Be it movie trailers, live events, comedy sketches, tutorials, or a Web series – YouTube is the home to it all, then some more. But you don’t always have access to a Wi-Fi or data connection, and in such situations, the ability to watch YouTube videos offline comes in handy. But how do you download YouTube videos on your mobile or desktop for offline viewing? Here are a few methods you can download YouTube videos and enjoy them when you don’t have Internet access.
But before we go ahead, here’s a quick disclaimer. This how-to article in prosperousathens. is only to help users download YouTube videos for their convenience, and strictly not for copyright infringement. You should ideally download videos only when the creator allows it, and should use the downloaded file responsibly. With that being said, here’s a quick and easy guide to help you download YouTube videos or convert YouTube to mp3 on mobile and desktop.
How to download YouTube videos using the official app
The YouTube app for Android and iOS allows users to download videos for offline viewing, provided the video is not private and the creator allows it. Moreover, it is not a proper local file download, as you can only watch the video in the YouTube app, and not in any other video player or share it as a file.
- Open the YouTube app on your phone and enter the search keywords for the video you are looking for.
- Once the app pulls up the video results, tap on the three dot symbol corresponding to the video you want to download.
- Tap on the Download button in the window that appears. Once you do, YouTube will ask you to select video quality.
- After you have selected the video quality, it will start downloading in the background.
- In case you are watching a video and want to save it for offline viewing, just tap on the Download button (down arrow) below the video title. In this case as well, YouTube will ask you to choose the video quality.
- Once the download is complete, you’ll see a “View” button at the bottom. Tap on it and you’ll be taken to your offline YouTube downloads page in the app.